Monday, January 19, 2009

One Week In Paradise

So I've been in Grenada for one week this evening, and it seems like it's been a true vacation. I've hiked up a waterfall, toured the capital city and of course, gone to the beach, but today is the true testament that it is in fact not a vacation. I begin classes this afternoon with an introduction to biochemistry, anatomy, histology and bioethics. As a great suprise last night, I found out that bioethics only lasts four weeks; thus, leaving me with three classes the remainder of the term. Those three classes are definitely going to be enough to keep me busy. So back to the fun adventures I've had the last few days. This photo is of two of my closest friends in Grenada. Casey is on the left and Lauren is closest to me. We had dinner with a girl that Casey knew who is a third term student here at the Prickley Bay Marina in Lance Epines, a small community on the island. They are both from New Jersey and met each other this summer. Upon meeting, they decided to be roommates and took me on as a third wheel. My roommate, whom I will have to show you later, brought some friends with her when she arrived on the island and has only been staying in the room for two nights now. Her friends are leaving tomorrow and then two of our family members arrive on the island Friday night in preparation for Parent's Weekend and the White Coat Ceremony.
The picture to the left is of the Fish Market in St. George's city. This was one of the stops on the tour of the capital, but Lauren and I went back on Saturday morning for her to buy some fish. She got a little over two pounds of red snapper for 18 EC, which is about $7 US. EC is the Eastern Carribean currency which is the money system used by the Grenadians and six other islands in the West Indies. One EC is approximately 2.67 US dollars. Lauren also had to tip a gentleman to filet the fish for her, but that only cost $1. So all in all she got two nice snapper filets for $8. What a deal! We were going to buy some local produce, but as usual in Grenada, or from what we have seen, it began to rain for a little while. Then, a little while turned into a little bit longer and before we knew it we were completely soaked in rain. This picture is from the top of Fort George which is the place where the prime minister Maurice Bishop was killed execution style during the Grenada revolution in 1983. I was taken there during my capital city tour. Grenada became an independent state after this war with the help of the United States government. Yes, I know you are wondering about the medical

school. It was here during the revolution, but the students were taken from the island by US Navy Seals and none were injured in the fighting. So just in case there is a hurricane, earthquake or another war, I will be perfectly safe here. The picture on the left is of the Concord Waterfalls. We took a bus about 30 minutes from campus to get to the waterfalls. It was a beautiful site and several of us, including my friends and me, got in the water and swam under the waterfall. It was a great end to a hot day in Grenada. We have had several fun nights in the city as well. The SGA put on a party at the Aquarium, which is a nice restaurant on the beach. I never thought I'd been at a medical school party dancing on the beach. They also had a BBQ and Bazaar on campus. The bazaar was by far my favorite thing I've done on the island so far. It was filled with all different types of Grenadian and American foods, a bongo drum band and several merchants with homemade goods from the island. I bought a mango candle made out of a half coconut. The picture to the right of my other close friend Meredith. She lives off campus with her two cats. The bunny ears are from Lauren. What a jokester. So as you can see, I haven't done much studying yet, but as of this afternoon, the fun times have to come to an end...well at least somewhat. I'm so glad to have such close friends already, and look forward to making many more as time passes. I guess I'll let you know how classes go in a few days and tell you all about the visit from my mommy.


No comments:

Post a Comment