Saturday, August 8, 2009

Back for Another Round

I came back to Grenada on Sunday after a 10 week break for another go. I arrived two weeks early to get settled in my new off campus apartment and to spend some time enjoying the island before classes start. I am living with my roommate from last term a few doors down from three of my really good friends, Casey, Lauren and Monica. Even though we live a few feet away, our balconies are right next to each other. That should make for some interesting evenings. Since I did not get to my apartment until almost midnight on Sunday, Monday was get organized day. I spent the day traveling to the grocery store and unpacking my bags. Tuesday, I went into the city to get some supplies for my room and to try to find some Grenadian decorations. All I got was a really neat candle holder. I plan on going back for some more things soon. Wednesday, I got my things I was storing at a friend's house and spent most of the evening unpacking those boxes. I conquered the seven sister falls on Thursday, which involved hiking two hours in the rain forest to a beautiful site where we could see two of the seven falls. The picture above is Casey and me after hiking up to the falls. Monica and her boyfriend Danny, who is visiting for the week are in the background. The picture on the left is one of the two waterfalls with Ray Ray, our cab driver in the bottom left corner.
After going to the falls, Ray Ray took us to see the wild monkeys. We were able to feed the monkeys bananas. They would even jump on your back to eat a banana from the top of your head. It was crazy, but an amazing experience. As you can see, even though you know it's coming, it still scares you a little to have them jump on you. My "cheese" face tells it all.














Friday was spent at the beach, but Friday night we went to Gouyave to enjoy fried fish sandwiches, freshly grilled tuna with garlic sauce, macaroni pie, crab legs and dumplings, cou cou (kinda like fried corn bread), and many other Grenadian dishes at Fish Friday. We also were able to hear the biggest steel drum band I have ever seen. It was made up of about 35 to 40 different members all who played in perfect rhythm and harmony. I am a huge sucker for steel drum bands and this one was amazing. I tried to video tape them with my still camera, but the flash does not work when you are using it to video tape, so I couldn't get a good shot.

This weekend is Carnival in Grenada, so I will have many more pictures and stories to share with you soon. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment